Crop Protection is the science and practice of managing plant diseases, weeds and other pests (both vertebrate and invertebrate)that damage agricultural crops and forestry. Agricultural crops include field crops (maize, wheat, rice, etc.), vegetable crops (potatoes, cabbages, etc.) and fruits. The crops in field are exposed to many factor.
The crop plants may be damaged by insects, birds, rodents, bacteria, etc. Crop protection encompasses:
- Pesticide-based approaches such as herbicides, insecticides and fungicides
- Biological pest control approaches such as cover crops, trap crops and beetle banks
- Barrier-based approaches such as agrotextiles and bird netting
- Animal psychology-based approaches such as bird scarers
- Biotechnology-based approaches such as plant breeding and genetic modification